Complaints Procedure

At Hilldale Housing Association, we aim to give you the best customer service possible. But if you feel we’ve fallen short of this, please let us know. We’ll work with you to put things right and we’ll always try to use your feedback to improve things where we can. This Code lets you know how to go about making a complaint and how to take it further, if you need to.


1. Making a complaint. Resolving a complaint.

What to do if you’re not satisfied with our service:

◊ If you’re unhappy with our service, please let us know as soon as you can. We’ll do our best to put things right, so you can carry on enjoying our services again.

◊ If you have a complaint, we’ve set out our formal internal complaints procedure below.

◊ We are fully committed to addressing all complaints, fully and fairly, and in a reasonable timeframe.

◊ We prefer to resolve complaints by telephone – but if you’d prefer to receive a response in writing, then please ask.

How to get in touch:

There are 2 easy ways to get in touch:

> By Phone: call 01942 323838. We will try our best to resolve your complaint during your initial phone call. However, where this is not possible, we will agree a course of action with you and provide you, where possible, with clear timeframes and next steps for the resolution of your complaint.
> By email: Use the online form or email Your email will be acknowledged within 48 hours of receipt and we aim to resolve your complaint within 28 days of receipt.

◊ If you remain dissatisfied:

When we receive your complaint, we’ll aim to resolve it to your complete satisfaction.

◊ If a complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction you can ask to escalate the issue to a Senior Manager. The Senior Manager may be available to speak to you immediately or they may call you back at a time that suits both of you. In the event that the Senior Manager has to call you back, you can help us by letting us know which daytime and evening contact numbers work best for you.

◊ If, after speaking to the Senior Manager, you feel we have still not dealt with your complaint appropriately, please ask for your complaint to be reviewed by the Chief Executive. If, after following the process explained above, you are still not happy with the outcome of your complaint, you can refer your complaint to independent adjudication.



2. Independent Adjudication

◊ If we have not reached an agreed settlement within eight weeks of receiving your complaint or we agree in writing before the eight weeks is up that the dispute should be settled by independent adjudication, you have the option of referring your complaint for independent consideration to a ‘Designated Person’.

◊ A Designated Person can be a Councillor, M.P., or recognised Tenant Panel. Designated persons are there to help to resolve disputes between tenants and their landlords. They can do this in whatever way they think is most likely to work.

More information about Designated Persons can be found here



3. The Housing Ombudsman

◊ If the designated person cannot help they can refer a complaint to the Ombudsman.

◊ Complaints to the Ombudsman do not have to be referred by a designated person, but if they are not there must be at least 8 weeks from the end of the landlord’s complaint process before the Ombudsman can consider the case.

More information about the Housing Ombudsman can be found here